The façade of Saint Sophia Church, Mystras. Located in the district of the Despot's Palace, it served as the palace church, the catholicon of a small monastery, and the royal tombs. Built between 1351 and 1365. Its tall, narrow structure and the use of columns in the bell tower and in support of one side of the dome is unusual for Byzantine churches of the period. During the Ottoman occupation of Mystras, the building served as a mosque, the bell tower was its minaret. The Cloisonné brickwork is more typical of Byzantine architecture.
saint sophia churchMystrasgreecepeloponnesuspeloponnese peninsulagreek architecturechurch architectureCloisonnéarchitecturearchitectural stylesGreek churchesByzantine