A portion of the Palamidi Fort overlooking the modern city of Nauplion. The fort consists of 8 self-contained cannon batteries linked by a curtain wall. It was built by the Venetian military commander Francesco Morosini after his forces captured the city from the Turks in 1686. Several of the 857 steps whose path parallels the curtain wall can be seen at far right.
francesco morosinipalamidivenetian fortsnauplionargolidpeloponnesepeloponnesian peninsulagreecepeloponnesuscurtain wallvenetian fortpalamidi fortwalled cities