A typical Maniot Tower, located near Gythio on the Mani Peninsula of Sparta. About 20 meters high and has 4 to 5 floors. The more than 800 surviving Mani towers were very carefully planned. Used as a residence as well as a defensible military strong point, each tower included a high-walled courtyard. They were equipped with loopholes, boilers for water, and special places at tower corners for throwing stones at enemies.
During the Ottoman invasion (circa 1770) of the Peloponnese Peninsula, the Maniots had a reputation as proudly independent warriors. They lived in fortified villages and house-towers where they defended their lands against the Ottomans until 1827, when the Ottoman invasion of Greece was stopped by the combined forces of Great Britain, France, and Russia at the Battle of Navarino at modern-day Pylos on the west coast of the Peloponnese Peninsula.